Please allow me to introduce myself. I am DontPanicPls, but everyone is calling me Panic (dunno why
😃). I am the eBulgarian ambassador in the eUK. I want to say that I am honored and I will do everything in order to strengthen our relationship and friendship.
I will be posting some interesting facts about my home country - Bulgaria.
1. Bulgaria is the homeland of yogurt. Bulgarians call theirs “sour milk” and they think it’s what makes them live long lives.
2. Bulgaria is the world’s second-biggest exporter of rose oil, an ingredient in most perfumes.
3. As confusing as it may be, Bulgarians shake their head when they mean to say “yes” and nod when they want to say “no”.
4. The country’s national instrument is gaida, more commonly known as bagpipes.
5. The oldest processed gold in the world is found in Varna in Bulgaria. The golden artifacts were believed to be 7,000 years old.
6. Shopska, also known as Bulgarian salad, won as best dish in Europe in a contest organized by the European Parliament.
7. Mark Zuckerberg, the founder of Facebook, has Bulgarian roots. He was named after his Bulgarian grandfather Marko.
8. The legendary Thracian singer, Orpheus, spent his life in ancient Bulgaria. Orpheus is the son of Oeagros, God of the River.
9. Rakia is an alcoholic drink with made from fermented pears, grapes, or apricots. It is Bulgaria’s national drink and is usually consumed together with shopska.
10. Every first of March, Bulgarians celebrate a unique holiday known as Baba Marta (Grandmother March). Locals exchange martenitsas or tassels of white and red yarn.
11. Bulgarian former athlete Stefka Kostadinova holds the world record of 2.09 meters at the 1987 World Championships. No one has matched or beaten her record until today. She’s one of the most famous people from Bulgaria.
12. In 1976, the ancient Bulgarian calendar was hailed by UNESCO as the most accurate of its kind in the world.
13. Bulgaria ranks 20th in the worldwide ranking of countries with fastest internet speeds. (YES WE HAVE A NICE INTERNET)
I will try to post some interesting facts about Bulgaria frequently. Moreover, will be sharing with you how is eBulgaria doing.
If you want to have a chat you can always message me.
Add me as a friend